1989 Text

          The Executive Committee consisted of John Ramsey - General Manager; Grant Miller & Laura Grabsch - Operations Director; Susan Mullis - Director of Development; Grant Miller - Program Director; Tanya Weiman - Business Manager; John Ramsey - Chief Engineer; Gary Levin - Member At Large; Allen Livermore - Community Affairs Director.

Sub Department heads: Blake Wilcox, Music Director; Rich Kilbourne, Jazz Director;

Staff: Dave Agasi, Missy Archacki, Laurel Aronstamm, Keith Barrett, Peter Beneski, Janet Bilan, Lisa Birden, Rich Boissoneau,Jim Bolan, Tom Bowman, Marueen Brennan, Sean Brennan,Carl Brouilette, Keith Brown, Peter Burkle, Steve Burke, Frank Butash, Jean-Christople Cabot, Monica Capezza, Guy Carnazza, Phil Carrol,  Steve Cassidy, Bob Celmer, Fran Cmara, Christine Cooney, Vanessa Cooper, TimCosta, Lee Courtney, Bill Cunningham, Jam Czarzasty, Joe Della Penna, Mark Delorenzo, Dave DeMaw, Mike DeRosa, Terrell Dickson, Rich Dittman, Vijay Dixit, Bill Domler, Mark Dressler, Charles Dube, Randol Duncan, Linda Epstein, George Michael Evica, Luis Feliciano,Jamie Ferrand, Vinney Fuerst, Dave Gablas, Donna Giddings, Jacki Gilligan, Laura Grabsch, Arthur Greene, John Greene, Greg Gunn, F. Paul Haney, David Helfrish, JJ Henriques, Cherie Heppe, Jonathan Firsch, Lisa Isaacson, Harvey Jassem, Wayne Jones, Bruce Kampe, Tom Kelly, Linda Kennedy, Dan King, Brian King, Eric Kornasky, Bob Lee, Gary Levin, Allen Livermore, Carlo Magno, Tony Magno, Doug Maine, Robert Martin, Allison Maslow, Ed McKeon, Mark Melnick, John Merlau, Peter Michaelson, Grant Miller, Philip Mitchell, Mixashaun, Susan Mullis, Nay Nassar, Ed Nelson, Phillip Neufville, Ted Neihay, Kevin O’Toole, Serge Outairo, Kevin Porter, John Prytko, Joe Quirk, John Ramsey, Bruce Reicher, Dave Repoli, Henrique Ribeiro, Maurice Robertson, Don Rovero, Mark Santini, Ed Savage, Barry Seelen, Pat Semeraro, Carlos Sowell,Kapil Taneja, Susanne Tarantello, Andy Taylor, Barry Teitelbaum, Dave Trahan, James Valentino, Rich Vaughn, Felix Viera, Chris Watson, Terry Weichand, Tanya Weiman, Lloyd Weir, Linda Wentworth, Stuart Werner, Steve Winot, Dave Zaluda, Andy Zeldin.


One of our ads in the Hartford Advocate read as follows: “Our listeners just put their money where their ears are!  WWUH FM just ran a marathon and didn’t even work up a seat!  This is the time of year that we hold our “marathon fund raiser and ask our listener to support us by pledging funds toward the operations of the station.

          Each year our listeners come through. This year to the tune of $40,000. No Sweat!

“We’d like to take this opportunity to thank those listeners who pledged and encourage those of you who haven’t done so already to give us a listen”

The January/February issue of the WWUH Program Guide featured an article entitled “Jazz in Connecticut, Alive and …?” written by station volunteer Jim Bolan.  The article discussed a November 20, 1988 symposium that was held to assess the “condition of jazz in CT” and sponsored by The Hartford Jazz Society, and the Connecticut Jazz Confederation.   Musicians such as Ed Jones, Phil Bowler and Mario Pavone were joined by media representatives such as Owen McNally of the Hartford Courant, Maurice Robertson of WWUH and John Murphy of WHUS.

The issue also featured a four page spread “Lets Get To Know The Specialty Shows” which was the  part two of a four part series started late in 1988.  The article included photos of Henrique Ribeiro, the host of Cultura E Vida, Christine Cooney the host of the Women’s Music Hour and a photo of Wayne Jones standing next to La Bamba star, Lou Diamond Phillips.

After over a year's delay, construction of the Gray Center had progressed to the extent that the station’s engineering staff was finally allowed to start construction work in the new building during March.   The regular engineering staff devoted more and more time during the day to construction as time went on as the amount of work was staggering.  Tuesday and Thursday nights were designated engineering work nights in the new facility.  Engineering volunteers Dave Viveiros, and Chuck Dube became regulars, as did non-engineering staff members Susan Mullis, Art Greene and Bruce Kampe, who quickly learn the basics of studio wiring.  The entire station infrastructure was designed, built and hand wired by these volunteers, with no outside help!

          Furniture for the studio was designed by the engineering department and custom built by Russlang in Bridgeport, CT.

          One of the major problems facing staff in regard to the relocation was how to move the station's 50,000-volume record/CD library.  Not only was there the issue of physically moving it from one building to another, but also the need to make sure it was kept in order, and installed in the right place in the new library room.  Music Director Laura Grabsch was put in charge of coordinating the move and accomplished the job with no problems or issues at all.

          The actual move went quite smoothly.  A commercial company moved the office equipment and records, and the station's engineering staff moved the majority of the broadcast equipment.  Laura worked out a system for moving the record library that worked out very well.  Two volunteers were stationed at each end of the path, loading and unloading cartons, which were numbered in order.  As long as the cartons were unloaded in the proper sequence, there would be no problem.  The moving of the library started at 8 am on Friday, continued until 5 pm, and then resumed at 8 am on Saturday.  By 5pm on Saturday, the entire library had been moved and reinstalled in the new shelving in the new library room.   Approximately 40,000 records were moved, with no mix-ups!

          The studio construction was completed in November, and the station broadcast from the new studio for the first time on Sunday, November 4th at 1 pm.   In order to check out the studio on the day of the changeover, engineering connected the old studio and the new studio in parallel in Gengras:  both studios could then be used on the air.  Staff actually played songs alternately from the old studio and the new studio during the Sunday morning Ambience program to insure that all was ready for the transition.  At 1 pm, Keith Brown signed on from the new studio and immediately started disconnecting the old studio's equipment.

          The workhorse Scully 280Bs were retired, and donated to WSAM.

In November, our first ever fall fundraiser was held, asking listeners to donate to help with unexpected costs of moving the station to its new quarters.   $20,000 was raised in one week.  During this event, the station offered a sweatshirt for the first time. It was Turquoise Blue with “I Helped Move WWUH” and it was extremely popular.

The athletic department approached WWUH in the fall with a plea for help.  The person who had been setting up the Hawks radio network unexpectedly passed away in September, and they were left with no stations to carry the games.  While ECOM was sympathetic, all felt strongly that live sports didn't have a place on WWUH and turned them down.  Later that month, the General Manager was summoned to a meeting with three vice presidents to discuss the possibility of WWUH carrying all 44 of the games.  A compromise was reached where WWUH would carry only the away games in the second half of the season.  This would allow time to prepare our staff and listeners for the interruptions, which fell mostly on our weekend ethnic and specialty shows.

          The staff cooperated, and the University purchased the necessary equipment, paid for the phone lines, and actually paid for one of our volunteers to run the board during the games.  Audience reaction was fairly mild, since the listeners had been prepared in advance.

          One offshoot of the Hawks broadcasts was the return of a sports talk show, UH Sportsline.  This show, which utilized an open phone line format, was fairly popular and stayed on the station for several years.

      1989 saw the publication of the first staff newsletter in close to twenty years.  The first edition of the "WWUH Phoenix” newsletter, by volunteer Gary Levin, came out in February 89.  It featured the floor plan of the new building.

The station brought Allison Kraus to campus.

“Sherlock Holmes” returned in the fall.

In cooperation with Company One, a theater group in Hartford, WWUH aired “The George Tirebiter Story” written and performed by David Ossman of Firesign Theater fame. The event took place in December in Wilde Auditorium and was simulcast with Hartford’s WHCN.  Radio workshops were offered by WWUH and Mr. Ossman the week prior to the presentation.  The workshops were taught in WWUH studios and included “Writing for Radio”, “Radio Performance”, “Live Radio Theater Production” “Radio on Video” and “Studio Production”.

          FM On Toast hosts included:

          Jazz hosts included:

          Synthesis hosts included:

          Pubic Affairs Producers included:

          Classical hosts included:

          Gothics and All Night Show hosts included:

          Special Show producers included:

News headlines in 1989 included: US planes shoot down two Libyan fighters over international waters in Mediterranean (Jan. 4); Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini declares author Salman Rushdie's book The Satanic Verses offensive and sentences him to death (Feb. 14); Tens of thousands of Chinese students take over Beijing's Tiananmen Square in rally for democracy (April 19 et seq.). More than one million in Beijing demonstrate for democracy; chaos spreads across nation (mid-May et seq.). Thousands killed in Tiananmen Square as Chinese leaders take hard line toward demonstrators (June 4 et seq.); After 28 years, Berlin Wall is open to West (Nov. 11); US troops invade Panama, seeking capture of General Manuel Noriega (Dec. 20); Herbert Walker Bush inaugurated as 41st US President (Jan. 20); Army Gen. Colin R. Powell is first black Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff (Aug. 9).


Website Builder