1992 Text


The ECOM consisted of John Ramsey - General Manager; Vicky Aubin - Operations Director; Susan Mullis - Development Director; Art Green, - Program Director; John Merleu - Business Manager; John Ramsey - Chief Engineer and Mike DeRosa - Community Affairs Director, Blake Wilcox – Music Director.

Keith Barrett - Classics Director; Ed McKeon - Folk Director; Rich Dittman and Tim Costa - Urban Music Directors; Harvey Jassem, Stuart Feldman - Jazz Director;  Chuck Dube - Assistant Chief Engineer; Art Greene  Production Director.

Staff: Adam Babis, Keith Barrett, Janet Bilan, Paul Bock, Pheobee Bock, Rich Boissoneau, Jim Bolan, Tom Bowman, Bart Bozzi, Marueen Brennan, Sean Brennan, Keith Brown, Dana Bugl, Steve Burke, Frank Butash, Mark Channon, Bob Celmer, Fran Cmara, Christine Cooney, Vanessa Cooper, Rich Cormier, Tim Costa, Lee Courtney, Kyle Cirspino, Bill Cunningham, Marty Dabrowski,  Donna Dauphinais, George Dauphinais, Oscar Dean, Mark Delorenzo, Dave DeMaw, Mike DeRosa, Terrell Dickson, Rich Dittman, Vijay Dixit, Bill Domler, Stuart Donner, Mark Dressler, Charles Dube,  Al Dzikas, George Michael Evica, Wendy Feldheim, Vinney Fuerst, Donna Giddings, Laura Grabsch, Arthur Greene, F. Brian Grossjean, Gina Gunn, Chuck Hale, F. Paul Haney, John Holder, Julia Holliday,  Harvey Jassem, Wayne Jones, Christopher Jordan, Bruce Kampe, Tom Kelly, Rich Kilbourne, Dan Kriwitsky, Peter Langley, Arne Langsetmo, Bob Lee, Gary Levin, Allen Livermore, Greg Lynch, Carlo Magno, Tony Magno, Doug Maine, Donald Maitz, Robert Martin, Tori Mazur, Leon McIntosh, Ed McKeon, Ryan Melcher, Mark Melnick,John Merlau, Peter Michaelson, Dorienne Miner, Philip Mitchell, Maxashaun, Susan Mullis, Ed Nelson, Georgette Nemr, Ted Neihay, Kevin O’Toole, Serge Outairo, Steve Pankowicz, Bill Perrier, Stephen Petke, Devin Porter, Ryan Porter,Justin Pregar, John Prytko, John Ramsey, Christina Ribeiro, Hentique Ribeiro, Mike Ringland, Maurice Robertson, Mark Snatini, Ed Savage, John Scott, Barry Seelan, Jacki Seidl, Kapil Taneja, Andy Taylor, Nancy Thoreson, Dwight Thurston, Tiffany Tucker, Felix Viera, Lynnea Villanova, Dave Viveiros, Terry Weichand, Lloyd Weir, Blake Wilcox, Kevin Williams, Patrick Wrigley,  Dave Zaluda, Andy Zeldin.

One of the strangest events in the station’s history occurred at 3 am on July 4th, 1992.  If there hadn’t been multiple witnesses to the event, the story would be hard to believe.

The incident started 3am with the ringing of the station intercom.  When asked to identify themselves by the All Night Show host who was on duty alone at the station, the person at the other end said that they were "Jesus"!  When the duty operator couldn't get any other answer, he called Public Safety, and heard nothing more for the rest of his shift.  Public safety escorted the person off campus, and returned to the station with a business card that the person has left on the station door.  The card read "Jesus"!  He had told Public Safety that he was a former staff member!!!

At 6 am, the shift change took place smoothly.  At 6:10 am, one of the announcers went out to his car.  When the doorbell rang a few minutes later, the duty operator pressed the buttons to open BOTH doors assuming it was his co-host returning, and into the studio came a young man, bearded, shirt less and shoeless.  This man, who claimed to be Jesus, attempted to get at the controls.  Luckily, he was stopped by two of the announcers, while a third announcer called Public Safety.  After "Jesus" attempted to kiss the feet of one of our volunteers, he ran out of the studio and was seen on the video monitor going up the elevator into the Gray center.   Public Safety caught up with this person outside the building, and again escorted them off campus.  Station management was appalled that public safety failed to have the person arrested when they came to the station a second time.  Public Safety admitted that they had acted improperly, and assured us that proper action would be taken in the future.

In October, during a routine visit to the transmitter site on Avon Mountain, John Ramsey and volunteer engineer Chris Marti discover that someone had placed an incendiary device behind the transmitter!  The device consisted of a jar of gasoline with candle placed through the top with the top with the candlewick cut so that it acted as a fuse.

A window had been broken and the device had been placed on the floor behind the transmitter and the fuse lit!  Luckily for us, the airflow from the transmitter intake had blown out the fuse.  Next to the homemade bomb was a quart of gasoline!  The building was vacated and the authorities promptly called.  Upon inspection, the police found three additional bombs in two other buildings on the site. The state police bomb squad was called in, as was the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms as they had a radio repeater in our building.  All of the devices had been designed improperly causing them to burn out before going off.  No one was ever charged with setting these bombs.

John Ramsey wrote about the episode:

“When I first spotted the device, which amounted to a Molotov cocktail, I something really stupid . . . I picked it up!  I knew when I spotted it that it did not belong behind the transmitter, but it did not occur to me that it was a bomb until I reached over and started to pick it up. It was at this point that I noticed that the jar was filled with liquid and it took me only a second to realize from the odor that the liquid was gasoline.  The candle had obviously been it at some point, but it had evidently been blown out by the air intake on the transmitter.  As soon as I realized what I was holding, I carefully put the device down and ordered Chris out of the building.   I knew that the device I had just seen was not an immediate danger, but finding something like that was unnerving and made me wonder what other devices might have been left around the area.

We retreated to the parking lot and I called 911 from my car phone. While I was waiting for the authorities to arrive, my mind was racing.  I was very concerned that someone was targeting WWUH, and it quickly dawned on me that if they knew where the transmitter was, then they knew where the studio was as well. The safety of the volunteer staff was my major concern and I started wondering what we would have to do to keep everyone safe.

The Avon Fire Department arrived first, and I realized how serious things were when they refused to go inside the building. I pointed the device out to them from outside, it was clearly visible since I had left the door open, but like me they were concerned that there might be other devices in or around the building.

Avon PD arrived next, and immediately separated Chris and I to take our statements. From what little I know about such things, I knew that the first person to discover something like this was always a suspect, and I nearly panicked when I remembered that earlier in the day I had mixed gas and oil together to fill my leaf blower at home.  My fears got worst when I heard the PD call in the State Police Bomb Squad, complete with “accelerant sniffing dog”!

Immediately after calling 911, I placed a call to the company that owned the land to inform them of the discovery.  It took a while to get though, but when I informed the guy that I “had found a bomb on their property”, he replied “you found a bong up there!”

Calls were also placed to the engineers of the other radio and TV stations at the site, and to the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the latter because they maintained radio equipment in the same building as our transmitter.

More and more law enforcement personnel started to arrive, and it wasn’t long before they discovered several more devices, located in two other small buildings on the property.  This confirmed my original fears that there might be more than one device, but also provided me with a small amount of relief since it appeared as if WWUH was not the only target, or perhaps was only a target of opportunity

Eventually, the dog arrived and I was happy when it gave me one sniff and quickly went on its way. I guess I hadn’t spilled any gas while I was working on my leaves at home that morning.

Chris and I remained at the site for hours and were finally allowed to leave around 10 pm. The chief engineer of channel 3 pulled us aside and asked us not to talk to anyone about what had happened because he thought it would be best if the public did not find out.  You can imagine my surprise when, an hour later, channel 3 news ran the story of the discovery of the devices, and gave not only the street address but the call letters of all of the stations at the site, including WWUH!  So much for keeping it quiet!  I later discovered from their engineer that the local NBC station had heard the call on their scanner, and had called them shortly before the 11 o’clock news began as a courtesy to let them know that they were running with the story.  The left channel 3’s news department with no choice but to try to scoop the competition, but to this day I don’t understand why they chose to give the address of the site and the call letters of all the stations with transmitters there.

There was immediate speculation as to who might have tried to blow the place up.  Some people thought it was related to the serious gang problems that Hartford had been experiencing that fall. These people pointed to the fact that channel 3 had editorialized very heavily against the gangs and that perhaps the attempted bombing was carried out by gang members.

A second theory tied the event in with union negotiations that were going on at a number of the stations who used the site.

Lastly, this event happened at a time that there were tremendous forest fires in California. The TV news every evening for the last week was filled with horrible pictures of up scale houses in CA burning to the ground. Some speculated that these pictures had excited a local firebug.

One thing is for sure.  Given the dry fall conditions at the time and the constant winds at the hilltop site, if even one of the devices had detonated the resulting fire could have been disastrous.  Not only could it have knocked off the air an AM, two FM and two TV stations, the fire could have spread up or down the ridge to the expensive real estate nearby.

Whether these devices were planted by someone who didn’t know what they were doing (design wise) or whether they were planted by someone who knew they wouldn’t work but who knew that they would “get someone’s attention” will probably never be known.  I do know that no one was ever charged in the case.”

          This close call prompted us to take steps to improve the security of our building.  These steps including boarding up our windows and installing a burglar and fire alarms system.  Channel 3, the landlord replaced the wooden door on the building with a steel door, and installed bars on the windows.  In addition, they improved lighting, cut brush, and installed time-lapse recorders on the CCTV cameras at the site.  They also installed an alarm on the Butler building and installed a printer on the gate access system so they would have a printed record of who had accessed the gate.

On and off during the seventies and early eighties, WWUH featured regular newscasts, usually produced by students.  1992 would see regular, daily news broadcasts on the station for the first time in close to ten years.  The concern was that many of our listeners were forced to tune to other stations to hear the latest news so we decided to experiment with carrying Pacifica Network News from Washington one night a week.  This half hour show was considered one of the best alternative news shows available.  The first appearance of Pacifica Nightly News on WWUH took place in the 8 pm slot on Wednesday night.

The program was initially picked up via a long distance phone call, which severely limited the fidelity.  After a few weeks, we made arrangements with WPKN in Bridgeport to rebroadcast their Pacifica feed, which came to them via satellite and had high fidelity.  We installed an FM tuner tuned to WPKN in Gengras, and using the antenna on top of the Gengras tower, got a usable signal from WPKN.  This signal was fed through a dedicated line to the WWUH studio, where the show would be taped for broadcast later that night.  This worked wonderfully for many months, up until WPKN's Pacifica feed started sounding back as they had lost their satellite hook up.  We then made arrangements with WHUS in Storrs to carry their feed, and retuned our Gengras equipment to their frequency.

Later, when we expanded Pacifica news to five nights a week on WWUH, we purchased and installed a hi-fi VHS VCR in the air studio, and used it to automatically record the Pacifica feed each night. In April, the station decided to add voice mail to office phone lines.  There was quite a bit of discussion that preceded this change, with some people concerned about the impersonal nature of an automatic attendant but the fact was that the volume of calls had increased so much over the last few years that voicemail was necessary.

In November, the station's public affairs staff did an outstanding job of covering the elections.  They preempted regular programming from 7 pm until close to midnight on election night and provided in-depth coverage of local and state races.      

Our Community Affairs Director, Mike DeRosa, received awards for his New Focus show from PACE, the Peoples Action for Clean Energy and from the Ct. Home Care Providers, Inc.

By popular demand, the Lithuanian show was expanded to 1 hour, running from 5 - 6pm on Sunday afternoons.

"Music from Hartt" had been a WWUH feature on and off over the years, but it had always been via tape since Hartt was not connected to our Gengras studios.  When the new studio in the Harry Jack Gray Center was designed in 1986, we specified that a conduit be run between our studio and the Hartt building.  We installed cable in this conduit in 1991, from WWUH studio with the Hartt Recording Studio on the 3rd Floor.  This allowed WWUH to originate a concert series from the studio's performance area and have the concert broadcast live on the air.  In fact, in addition to four audio circuits, coaxial cable was run to allow a video camera to be placed at Hartt so the announcer at WWUH would be able to see the concert. Alan Livermore, the host of Friday’s Evening Classics, starts the new Music from Hartt series.

UH Bluegrass host Kevin Lynch arranged for us to carry the International Bluegrass Music Association Awards Program live from Nashville in September.  The signal was down linked off the satellite at WDRC's studios and we used their Marti unit to transmit the signal to our studio.  Audience reaction to the evening broadcast was excellent.

The Spring Marathon netted $47555.80.  Nearly 25% of the pledges were made via credit cards.

The “Antenna Project” drive took place in October.  This one-week on-air event had a goal of $20,000.  By the end of the week, $24,412.11 had been pledged from 1030 listeners.   After 90 days, 22,663.11 of that amount had been collected, an amazing 92.8 percent return.

ECOM had always talked of putting the paperwork involved with the station's marathon activities onto a computer system, and this was finally accomplished in time for the Fall Fundraiser.  Using Filemaker, a system was designed that would take the place of the 5-part carbonless forms that had been used for years, saving $900 a year in forms alone! The system also allowed us to look up a pledge by name, show, address, etc.

1992 saw the return of a Staff Newsletter, called the 913 Letter, in July.  Only one newsletter had been published in the last ten years or so, and the ECOM felt that a newsletter was a good idea as it would help facilitate staff communication.

The July issue of The 913 Letter featured a recap of the transmitter site tour; Listener Line statistics; a request for 25th anniversary T-shirt artwork. 

WWUH on channel 5. 

If the station’s staff had known in advance the amount of work that would have to go into producing the first Folk Next Door concert, they might never have taken on the event!  The administrative details alone took dozens of hours.  And then there was the listening to demo tapes, contacting the bands (both the ones accepted and the ones who weren’t), getting releases signed, doing publicity, etc. was very time consuming, and all of that had to be done properly well before the day of the show.

Making a live CD is a difficult task, and in our case we were in essence recording “live to tape” so there would be no room for error and no chance to “fix it in the mix”.

In preparation for the show, the Engineering Department spent hundreds of hours planning, wiring, and testing the equipment to make sure that everything was just right.  Two digital audio tape(DAT)  machines were borrowed to make the master tapes, and a backup was made on reel to reel tape running at 15-ips just in case. 

Veteran station engineers Dave Viveiros and Chuck Dube were the mainstay of the recording staff the night of the show, and they worked closely with John Ramsey to make sure the tapes came out properly.  We borrowed a PA system from Dave Budries at Hartt, and hired student Brett Heinz from Hartt’s excellent Recording Studio to take care of the house sound.  

Twenty-one acts paraded in front of the microphones during the 5-hour concert, which was also videotaped by the campus TV studio.

During the summer, the DAT tapes from the Folk Next Door concert were transferred at Dave Budries Sound Situation digital workstation, and the CD was compiled, edited and sent to Record Technologies in California for mastering. The CD was released in September, with two hundred copies being sent out to the folks who had attended the show.

          The Folk Next Door musicians received not only received a copy of the CD when it came out; they were sent a copy of the video tape of their performance as well.    

          In late fall, Ed McKeon finished editing the video tape of the folk next door concert and we sent copies to eight public access TV stations in the Hartford area, who promised to air it on their stations.  Audience reaction was very good, and the stations were allowed to keep the tapes (much to their amazement) for future broadcasts.

The Folk Next Door CD came out in September, and a release party was held at The Muni Cafe in Hartford in October.  About 60 people turned out for the event.  Most of the FND performers were on hand at the Muni to perform and autograph the CDs.

The Release Party for the FND Disc was held at the Muni in Hartford.  Our first Folk Next Door CD sold out in November, less than two months after it was released.  An additional 500 were ordered.

In July the engineering department conducted their first transmitter site tour for interested staff members.  Eight members took the tour and got to see first hand the “other half” of the WWUH technical operation.

A video monitor was added to the transmitter remote control in the air studio allowing the operator on duty to see the transmitter readings clearly.  This greatly simplified the procedure for taking readings.

WWUH-TV went on line in the fall on channel five of the campus cable TV system.  The idea behind the TV channel was to try to get more students aware of the stations by “bringing it to them” via their TV screens.  Our programming was on the audio portion of the channel, and the video consisted initially of five basic slides sequencing over and over. These slides provided information about the station, information about how to volunteer and basic information about our on-air schedule.

The manager of the Gengras Student Union agreed to loan us a graphics generator for our use on Channel 5.  This allowed us to replace the rudimentary 4-frame generator we had been using.  The new unit provided 16 pages of text, and accommodated various fonts, colors and display modes.  In addition to running information about the station, we agreed to put on a listing of Gengras events.

The decision was made to conduct a fall fund drive in order to make the antenna project a reality. This was not an easy decision for the ECOM to make since the station had always prided itself on having only a single, one-week fund drive.

The Windsor Public Access television station was contacted and they agreed to carry our signal, allowing WWUH’s programming to reach into households where it might not otherwise be heard.  Our audio was used in the background while the station was broadcasting their crawler of community announcements.

          In the spring, WWUH sponsored a rock concert as a benefit for CRIS Radio, the Connecticut Radio Information Service, which catered to print handicapped individuals.  The concert featured the band Big Mistake and took place in the Conover Campus Center. The event netted $800 for CRIS.  Volunteers Vicki Aubin and Development Director and Program Director Marsha Pelletier were instrumental in making this event a success.  Patricia Stevens, John Merleu, JP Chain and Tony Mango also helped with the project.

          In 1993, the University of Hartford continued to experience the effects of the economic downturn, and their contribution to the WWUH budget was cut by 10%, down to $18,500.

          The station’s Holiday party was held on Friday December 11. 

          The efforts of the station's music department were so successful that the station started to run out of room in the main library, a room that had been only about half full two years prior.  In fact, the library was designed in 1988 with a ten-year capacity for expansion.  The University carpentry shop built record shelves in the production studio where more storage space had been provided.  The station's opera collection and part of the classical library was moved into the production studio's new shelves, making room in the main library for other records.  

On May 1, staff introduced the WWUH Listener Line.  The highly successful Folkfone and Jazzline had been combined into a comprehensive listener service line including a new polka line and alternative rock line.  The system was designed so that listeners could use the line to request a complementary copy of the Program Guide or leave comments about programming.

          WWUH hadn't broadcast any of the Bushnell Park jazz concerts since the phone company tripled the price of the lines in 1984, but no one was ever happy with the fact that such great music was being missed.  The station arranged to carry the 1992 concerts live using a 450 MHZ remote pick up unit borrowed from WHCN.  This would allow broadcast of the concerts at minimal expense, and would allow WWUH to still broadcast the concerts even when the event was moved indoors because of rain to the West Indian Social Club (the rain location).  Staff did this by leasing a single 15 KHz line from WHCN's studio to the studio.  Staff used their RPU to transmit the signal from the park (or from the Social Club) to WHCN's receiver, where the signal then fed over the phone line to WWUH.  The system worked very well.

          SNET contacted the station in the early winter and asked staff if we wanted to provide concert listings for the SNET ACCESS system.  Staff agreed, and arranged for a $500 yearly payment for this service.

          Because the music department had been doing such a good job, the music phone line seemed to ring constantly  This was a source of frustration for the announcers, who would have to put up with it, and to the music dept. who complained that messages were not being taken.  A decision was made to add Voice Mail on Music Director Line. The voice mail would not only answer the phone and take a message silently when no one was in the department; it would also allow record companies to listen to a pre recorded play list.

          The director of WIN-TV, the Public Access TV station in Windsor, contacted us in the summer.  They wanted permission to use our audio on their channel during the times when their community calendar was on the air.  Not only did we way yes, but we provided a receiver to them and even went so far as to install an antenna on the roof of their building to improve reception of our signal.  Having public access stations carry our signal is a great way to expose more people to alternative radio.

          On October 9th, we held a concert featuring Richard Shindell and the Kips Bay Ceili Band.  We called this our "Antenna Concert Series".  The event was a sell out, and once again the Wilde Auditorium proved its worth.

          We celebrated the station's 25th anniversary in grand style with a banquet in the 1877 Club, directly above the station.  Well over one hundred people attended the event, including Clark Smidt, the station's founder, as well as dozens of other alumni, some of whom had traveled close to 1,000 miles to attend!  For many, it was their first chance to see the new quarters of WWUH.  

          WSAM approached us with questions about their purchasing a remote pick up unit so that they could broadcast from various locations on campus.  We told them that while they could not legally license a RPU (since they were not a broadcast station); we could license one and allow them to use it.  We decided to purchase a system with them, and to license it in our name.  We split the purchase of a high quality Moseley RPU system:  WWUH purchased the receiver and WSAM purchased the transmitter.  We installed the receiver in Gengras, and installed a rotatable antenna atop the Gengras tower.  The receiver feeds into a distribution amplifier, which feeds dedicated lines leading to the WSAM studio as well as to our studio. We even went so far as to tie the antenna rotor control into our remote control so that we can aim the antenna and check signal strength of the RPU system remotely.

          The successful fall fund drive allowed us to purchase a new FM exciter in the fall, replacing a 25-year old unit.  The installation of this piece of equipment resulted in a dramatic improvement in our sound.  

          At our request, the University connected our business office Mac computer into the campus computer network, allowing us access to the campus Vax computers, and to the Internet.

          In the fall, we received the largest single donation the station had ever received (short of the original $50,000 Roth Family donation that put the station on the air in 1968).  $1,000 was donated by the Shiro Fund to go towards general station operations.

          We finally got around to networking the two station Mac computers.  This helped ease the computer crunch, and eliminated the need to purchase another laser printer.

We were once again running out of room in our Library, so we had the carpentry shop install shelving on the back wall of the Recording Studio.  These new shelves were promptly filled up with a major part of the station's vinyl classical collection.

          The folks at the campus bookstore contacted us and requested that we provide them with a direct feed of the station so that they can hear it in store.   Because they couldn't pick up our signal in the building we promptly arranged for a dedicated phone line from our engineering shop to their phone room, where we tied it into their stereo system.

          In anticipation of the cost of renting space for our new antenna, we looked for ways to reduce our operating costs.  We decided to start desktop publishing our program guide in-house, instead of paying $35 per page for copy setting.  This worked out very well, and we soon purchased a new computer with a full-page monitor for the business office.

          In September, WWUH once again carried the International Bluegrass Music Association Awards Program for the second year in a row.  This time we received the feed by intercepting WHCN's 950 MHZ ICR signal from their Mark Twain Drive satellite site, right behind the campus.

          In his book “Playing in the FM Band,” author Stephen Post tells a chilling tale of bomb threats received by WBAI in the late sixties.  The threats were being made in relation to the station’s stance against the Vietnam War.   The book had been popular among a number of WWUH volunteers over the years, but no one would have thought that something more serious than a bomb threat would ever come to WWUH.

          Ed McKeon recalls:

          The Folk Next Door CD side project, “At Home For the Holidays with the Folk Next Door” was a successful concert we held in a hall at the Village For Families and Children, who also were beneficiaries of the concert.  We convinced the Nields and Dar Williams to record their holiday songs in advance to use as promos on the air prior to the event.  Nerissa Nields was a quick writer and she wrote “Merry Christmas, Mr. Jones,” but when she asked Dar to write a song, Dar was aghast.  She wrote her songs methodically over the course of several weeks, and she didn’t think she’d come up with something in a matter of days.  She wrote, “The Christians and the Pagans” which has become a Dar Williams classic.  The original version has one slightly different verse.  The CD is still very popular with listeners during the holidays.

          During the summer, Northeast Towers of Burlington Connecticut was contracted to re-guy and paint the Gengras Tower.

In April, the station decided to add voice mail to office phone lines.  There was quite a bit of discussion that preceded this change, with some people concerned about the impersonal nature of an automatic attendant but the fact was that the volume of calls had increased so much over the last few years that voicemail was necessary.

In October, student Bill Perrier resigned from the Program Director position due to time constraints and Art Greene stepped in. 

A fall “mini-marathon” was held in November, with $23,445.11 pledged from 1030 listeners, goal was 20k. 466 mugs ordered, over 400 FND CDs and cassettes.

In December, a Blues Line was added to the WWUH Listener Line.

 “Novel Approach” a literary show produced by volunteer Vanessa Cooper moved to the 8:30 pm Monday slot.

          Awards were presented at the December General Meeting: 15 years service awards went to Dave DeMaw, Vijay Dixit, G.M. Evica, Wayne Jones, Henrique Ribeiro, Maurice Robertson and Terry Weichand.  10 years awards were presented to:  Jim Bolan, Tom Bowman, Keith Brown, Mark DeLorenzo, Bill Domler, Donna Giddings, Bruce Kampe, Doug Maine, Peter Michaelson, Susan Mullis, Andy Taylor and Dave Viveiros.

          Five year plus awards were given to:  Keith Barrett, Paul Bezanker, Janet Bilan, Bart Bozzi, Steve Burk, Frank Butash, Tim Costa, Lee Courtney, Bill Cunningham, Mike DeRosa, Richard Dittman, Mark Dressler, Chuck Dube, Stuart Feldman, Luis Feliciano, Vinny Fuerst, Ant Greene, Harvey Jassem, Tom Kelly, Gary Levin, Alan Livermore, Tony Magno, Ed McKeon and John Merleau.

CDs received by Genre during the one-year period 1/1-12/31:  Rock-1946, Jazz-483, Folk/BG-417, Urban-453, Ambient-xxx, World/Reggae-106, Blues-187, and Soundtracks-xxx, for a total of xxx CDs.

From the November/December issue of the Program Guide.

The year in review John Ramsey:

          This, the last issue of the WWUH Program Guide for 1992, seems to be a good place to take a look at what the station has accomplished over the last year or two.

          Nationally, we have seen the right of freedom of speech repeatedly challenged. This has been a cause of great concern for all of us here at WWUH. In response, we have renewed out commitment to the freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.  The station has always been, and will always be, dedicated to the concept that the free exchange of ideas and viewpoints is vital to a healthy democracy. WWUH will continue to be a forum for alternative viewpoints, viewpoints often not allowed on other media outlets.  Along these lines, many of our public affairs programs came of age during the last year. “Cease Fire News,” which was created during the war in the Persian Gulf, when the military seemed to control the information released to the public about the war, has evolved into an outstanding program which explores alternative viewpoints and news stories, both local and international in scope.  I’m not exaggerating when I say that this show is worthy of a national audience.  Our award winning “Focus on Health” program has changed its name to “New Focus” and has expanded to take a new look at some pressing issues, both old and new.  The “Refrigerator Club” has widened its scope to cover such issues as the economy, business, privacy issues and the technological revolution in the collection, dissemination and the security of information.  “Gay Spirit” still going strong after more than a decade of weekly broadcasts, has earned a reputation as one of the best researched and produced programs of its type in the nation.  “Assassination Journal,” the country’s longest running public affairs programs dedicated to a single topic, became the focus of national attention and press thanks to the hard work of producer George Michael Evica, and to Oliver Stone’s popular film “JFK”.  “Asian American Forum”, now in its second year, continues to explore the many issues that affect all American’s of Asian ancestry, and indeed, the rest of us as well.  And Bruce Kampe, producer of “The Shortwave Alternative” was recently interviewed in a New York Times article on the increased popularity of shortwave listening due to the international situation.

          During the summer, the station devoted many hours to the coverage of the Democratic and Republican national conventions, with much of the programming provided to us by Pacifica station WBAI in NYC.  Judging form the calls we received, these broadcasts, which featured a refreshingly alternative perspective on the political process, were very popular.  Look for more political coverage in the months ahead, including special Election Night coverage.

          Our extremely diverse alternative music programming continues to expand and improve in 1992, helped along in large part by our many dedicated and knowledgeable volunteer programmers. 

          Live music performers could be heard often on 91.3 during the year as we, ranging from classical from the Hartt School of Music to our own bluegrass broadcasts.  Our five-hour “Folk Next Door” concert in May was a huge success, and featured 23 of Connecticut’s top acoustic and roots artists.  This concerts was digitally recorded in our new recording studio and has just been released as a CD, a first in UH history.  Record companies throughout the country recognize the reach and popularity of our programming: In fact, they donated over 2000 new recordings to our extensive record and CD collection in 1992.

          While many volunteer based organizations complain that finding volunteers has become increasingly difficult, volunteerism is alive and well at WWUH.  We have long waiting lists for just about all of our programs.  All of the people who produce and air programs are volunteers and only two people out of our staff of over eighty individuals are paid.  Using volunteers as programmers keeps the programming fresh, and also helps greatly to keep down the cost of running the station.

          WWUH has always been fortunate to have a very supportive listening audience. This is especially important considering the fact hat nearly 70% of the station’s budget comes from our listeners.  We raised well over $60,000 in 1992 in just two, one week over the air fund raising events!  While many stations have been forced to add days or even weeks to their fund raisers to make up for a drop in listener support, this has not been necessary here at WWUH thanks to the generosity of our listeners and the University.  Financially, WWUH is in good shape.

          ‘…What do we have in mind for 1993?  A lot!  1993 will mark the twenty-fifth anniversary of WWUH, and we have many special events planned to help celebrate that milestone.  In addition, the WWUH Antenna Project, years in the planning, should be completed during the year, further expanding the reach of the station’s signal and improving reception for our current listeners.  More live music of every kind (and perhaps a Folk Next Door II) is planned, as is the further development of our news and public affairs programming.  But probably most important, you will hear on 91.3 just what you’ve come to expect from WWUH; alternative community service programming that can not be matched anywhere.”

                    FM On Toast hosts included:

          Jazz hosts included:

          Synthesis hosts included:

          Pubic Affairs Producers included:

          Classical hosts included:

          Gothics and All Night Show hosts included:

          Special Show producers included:

          Southampton is more than twice that far from the WWUH transmission antenna on ... John Ramsey, general manager and chief engineer for WWUH, recalledH what


News headlines in 1992 included: Yugoslav Federation broken up (Jan. 15). US recognize three former Yugoslav republics (April 7). UN expels Serbian-dominated Yugoslavia (Sept. 22); Bush and Yeltsin proclaim a formal end to the Cold War (Feb. 1); US lifts trade sanctions against China (Feb. 21); General Manuel Noriega, former leader of Panama, convicted in US court (April 9) and sentenced to 40 years on drug charges (July 1); Russian Parliament approves START treaty (Nov. 4); US forces leave Philippines, ending nearly a century of American military presence (Nov. 24); Czechoslovak Parliament approves separation into two nations (Nov. 25). Background: Czech Republic and Slovakia; UN approves US-led force to guard food for Somalia (Dec. 3); North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) signed (Dec. 17); Four officers acquitted in Los Angeles beating of Rodney King; violence erupts in Los Angeles; Caspar W. Weinberger indicted in Iran-Contra affair (June 16);  US Supreme Court reaffirms right to abortion (June 29); Bill Clinton elected President, Al Gore Vice President; Democrats keep control of Congress (Nov. 3); Bush pardons former Reagan Administration officials involved in Iran-Contra affair (Dec. 24).

Website Builder